[Tlhingan-hol] New Klingon Words tool

Will Martin lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 11:16:32 PST 2015

Dojqu’.

pImmo’ De’wI’meywIj vIlo’laHbe’, ‘ach latlhpu’vaD povba’ nuHvam DachenmoHta’bogh.

It’s one of the more interesting uses of the concept of distributed computing that I’ve seen. The benefits are obvious.

I wonder if you could modify it to replace the glottal stop during import with a character that didn’t trigger the problems you note, and if you could introduce that replacement character for any searches involving the glottal stop.

I have a much more primitive database that I have to manually maintain. I get around the apostrophe problem by having a sort field that uses the characters replacements:

a=a
b=b
ch=c
D=d
e=e
gh=g
H=h
I=i
j=j
l=l
m=m
n=n1
ng=n2
o=o
p=p
q=q1
Q=q2
r=r
S=s
t=t1
tlh=t2
u=u
v=v
w=w
y=y
‘=z

I manually create a spelling for each word during entry, like the sort field for {Qu’vatlh} is “q2uzvat2”, and then if I’m searching for a Klingon word, I just search for the entry in the sort field, which uses “z” instead of an apostrophe for the glottal stop, to avoid bad behavior on the part of the search engine.

As I said, it’s primitive. The variety of tools is one of the things that proves the creativity of different Klingon speakers.

pItlh
lojmIt tI'wI'nuv