[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: tlhutlh

qurgh lungqIj qurgh at wizage.net
Wed Nov 18 10:41:37 PST 2015

On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 1:20 PM, Will Martin <lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Interesting.
>
> {-vo’} does imply a direction of travel, and most commonly, it’s uses to
> describe the motion of the subject of a verb of motion. But…
>
> targhwIjvo’ Hom vInge’.
>
> In this case, the direct object is the thing moved, and the direction of
> motion is defined by the noun with {-vo’}, and if you can’t say it this
> way, how could it be said?

To me {targhwIjvo' Hom vInge'} means that I'm taking away a bone in a
direction away from my targ (Away from my targh, I take away a bone). I see
{targhwIjvo'} as probably a location, just like {targhwIjDaq} would be
since TKD says {-Daq} and {-vo'} are similar in the way they work. Do we
have any examples of {-vo'} where it's obviously a subject or object? The
example in TKD {pa'vo' yIjaH} - "Go away from the room" seems to mirror
{ pa'Daq yIjaH} -  "Go to the room".

Would we say {targhwIjDaq Hom vInob} - "I give a bone to my targh"? I think
that would be {targhwIjvaD Hom vInob}, qar'a'?

This makes me wonder if {-vo'} is even needed in this case though:

targhwIj Hom vInge' - I take away my targ's bone

> I can come up with several really bad suggestions. This one seems far more
> appropriate.
>
> So, back to your example, would people still have difficulty if you were
> explicit?
>
> HIvje’vo’ HIq vItlhutlh.

I see this as "away from the cup, I drink alcohol". We could drop the
{-vo'} again though:

HIvje' HIq vItlhutlh
I drink the cup's alcohol

This could only be the {HIq} in the {HIvje'}.

qurgh