[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: tlhutlh

Will Martin lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 10:20:14 PST 2015

Interesting.

{-vo’} does imply a direction of travel, and most commonly, it’s uses to describe the motion of the subject of a verb of motion. But…

targhwIjvo’ Hom vInge’.

In this case, the direct object is the thing moved, and the direction of motion is defined by the noun with {-vo’}, and if you can’t say it this way, how could it be said?

I can come up with several really bad suggestions. This one seems far more appropriate.

So, back to your example, would people still have difficulty if you were explicit?

HIvje’vo’ HIq vItlhutlh.

And if this is acceptable, why not get even more vague about the direct object?

HIvje’vo’ jItlhutlh.

I’m having less trouble with this than some others are. The action of the verb involves a prepositional relationship with a noun. Something moves from the glass. Does it have to be the subject? I suspect not.

pItlh
lojmIt tI'wI'nuv