[Tlhingan-hol] Qun qa'

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Tue Nov 17 10:41:59 PST 2015

On 11/17/2015 1:16 PM, Steven Boozer wrote:
> I found another:
>
> 'ach HoD, Hevetlh wIghoSchugh veH tIn wI'el maH'e'
>
> But Captain, that course will take *US* into the [Great] Barrier as
> well! ST5
>
> Now looking at the subtitle “as well”, I wonder if that should have
> be {maH je}?

I have no problem with it as it is. The "as well" is implied in the
emphasis.

"They're going into the Great Barrier."
"Set course 0-0-0 mark 2."
"But that'll take *US* into the Great Barrier!"

Hear the unspoken "too" in there?

If you did want to add a {je}, you couldn't add it after the {maH'e'},
because there's no noun to conjoin with it. {wI'el maH'e' je} would be
like saying "*WE* and enter it." You couldn't add it after the verb,
either, because {wI'el je maH'e'} that would mean something like "*WE*
enter it in addition to some other thing we did."

http://trimboli.name