[Tlhingan-hol] KLBC: locative object

qov at kli.org qov at kli.org
Mon Nov 16 23:38:43 PST 2015

In violation of ‘arHa’s mandate, but out of respect and admiration for Karen Alessio & Fatairae, who are thinking and talking about tlhIngan Hol between themselves, I am answering this question.

> Karen and I were spitting at each other, and had a debate on locatives.
>
> ravchajDaq bIQong
> bIQong ravchajDaq
> "You sleep on their floor"

The Klingon Dictionary is clear on this point.  See the end of section 6.1 on p. 60.  “Any noun in the sentence indicating something other than subject or object comes first, before the object noun. Such nouns usually end in a type 5 noun suffix.” It may help to think of the locative noun as being the setting established for the subsequent phrase. The order is mandatory.

ravchajDaq bIQong.

> Some languages treat locatives as an object, others as an independent.  Is the order important here? Or is it a theoretical third, that explicitly makes the floor the object?
>
> ravchajDaq DaQong

There are a few verbs of motion that take their destination as an object, but in general Klingon locations are not objects.

Keep talking, keep thinking and keep asking.  This is the gold standard of what beginner questions should look like: a simple question that you’ve thought about and tried to solve on your own, with examples that show your care and ability.  Plus the spitting.  Very important.

reH tlhIngan Hol bojatlhjaj!

  - Qov ‘utlh

--

Online Klingon Course free to all KLI members: http://www.kli.org/members-only/klcp-prep/