[Tlhingan-hol] KLBC: plural in nationalities

Will Martin lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 13:50:09 PST 2015

For what it’s worth, I would have said {vulcan loD} and not {vulqangan loD}, since you’d be talking about a man of the planet Vulcan and not a man of a Vulcan (as in perhaps a servant or slave owned by a Vulcan). Yes, I know about the genitive. The relationship between the man and the planet is genitive. The relationship between the man and a Vulcan person is, to my ear, not so much.

Keep in mind that Okrand has explained to us that {tlhIngan Hol} literally means “a Klingon’s language”, or “the language of a Klingon”. {tlhIngan} remains a noun at all times and is not, as is commonly translated into English, an adjective. Meanwhile, you wouldn’t tend to call it {Qo’noS Hol} because the planet doesn’t speak the language. It’s inhabitants do.

pItlh
lojmIt tI'wI'nuv