[Tlhingan-hol] rup

Lieven levinius at gmx.de
Thu Nov 12 09:06:00 PST 2015

Am 12.11.2015 um 16:37 schrieb De'vID:
> Note that the definition revolves around whether a being is capable of
> language, not speech. Not all language is spoken.

As an addition for all nitpickers, TKD has one situation where "speech"
is also mentioned. (and about 19 phrases using the "capable of using
language" phrase)

TKD, p. 25: "It is grammatically correct to use the regular possessive
suffix with nouns referring to beings capable of speech, ..."

Nevertheless, that does not change the definition. It simply means that
if someone is capable of speech, he is of course capable of language as
well.

As for Data, he is a very special case, that should not be discussed
when talking about the use of these suffixes, that's just adiferent topic.

Every living being that can somehow communicate using any kind of a
language take the {-pu'} plural, and other things like animals and
things are {-mey}. Now to become philosophical: imagine a race like the
Betazoids, but one who would communicate only through thoughts instead
of language. I'd still refer to them using the -pu' suffix, since they
are humanoid beings who can communicate.

A note for all beginners: learn the basics and you'll know 90% of the
language; once you get there, you can talk about the special cases.

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka Quvar valer 'utlh