[Tlhingan-hol] Concerning the purpose clauses

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Tue Nov 10 05:36:13 PST 2015

On 11/10/2015 7:46 AM, qunnoQ HoD wrote:
> we painted the targh in yellow paint in order to see it
> targh wIleghmeH ghah rItlh SuD wIngoH

A {targh} is an {'oH}, not a {ghaH}.

{ngoH} isn't just "paint," it's "paint with fingers" or "smear." I'm not
sure if we've seen exactly how {ngoH} works in a sentence, but I'd
expect you to "smear" paint ON the {targh}:

targh wIleghmeH 'oHDaq rItlh SuD wIngoHta'.

I also added {-ta'} on the assumption that the action is completed; it's
something you DID. You could also use {-pu'} here.

> i tickled my dog to anger it
> Ha'DIbaH vIQeHmeH ghah vIqotlh

A {Ha'DIbaH} is also an {'oH}. However, note that the pronoun is
redundant here; you can just leave it out.

If you want "my animal," add the possessive suffix, {-wIj}.

If you want to cause something to be angry, you need to use the {-moH}
suffix on the verb: {QeHmoH} "cause to be angry."

Ha'DIbaHwIj vIQeHmoHmeH vIqotlhta'

> they destroyed the vessel to anger the commander
> la' luQeHmeH DuJ luQaw'

Same advice about {-moH} and {-ta'} here, otherwise correct.

> i gave the commander food to get a shore leave
> leSpoH vISuqmeH Soj la' vInob

When dealing with indirect objects, {-vaD} "beneficiary" is usually used.

leSpoH vISuqmeH la'vaD Soj vInobta'

> she cloaked her vessel to avoid me
> mujunmeH DujDaj So'

maj.

> he made his bed in order to sleep
> QongmeH QongDaqDaj chenmoH

maj. Note that {QongDaqDaj chenmoH} means literally, "cause his bed to
take form." Presumably you mean this and not "tucked the sheets under
his bed neatly." Also, use {chenmoHta'}.

> you took away my shoes in order to delay me
> chomImmeH waqmeywIj Dange'

maj. Also use {Dange'ta'}.

> he repaired his vessel for the purpose of attacking the ferengi
> verenganpu' HIvmeH DujDaj tI'

maj. Also use {tI'ta'}.

> they skinned the targh in order to make clothes
> Sutmey chenmoHmeH targh luSurgh

I'm not sure {Sut} is a counting noun; I'd probably not use the {-mey}
on it. Along with using {luSurghta'}, this is otherwise correct.

> i gave the female commander vegetation to go on a date
> poH vIjaHmeH tI be' la' vInob

{poH vIjaHmeH} literally means "in order to go to a period of time." I
wouldn't interpret this as "go on a date." I'd probably be more specific
about what the date entails. See also my previous comments about
indirect objects and about completion.

nItebHa' maSopmeH jIH be' la' je, ghaHvaD tI vInobta'
in order that the female commander and I eat together, I gave her vegetation

http://www.trimboli.name/