[Tlhingan-hol] Beginner's Grammarian: The hunt is on

Lieven levinius at gmx.de
Tue Nov 10 03:09:42 PST 2015

Am 10.11.2015 um 03:56 schrieb qurgh lungqIj:
> One of the reason the old BG line was broken, was that there wasn't
> enough traffic on the list to warrant a new BG.

For anyone interested: I made an anlysis of the traffic simply based on
the archive, right here:
www.klingonwiki.net/En/EmailDiscussionForum

> in activity due to qunnoQ and the new words has been great, is it really
> enough to warrant a new BG?

Yes. I would say it is, even with very few beginners, there should be
someone appointed to welcome these. Even if traffic slows down, even
with only one newbie in one month, there should be someone to say hello.
What can happen? A workless BG will not starve to death.

We've seen recently what should be avoided by a BG: beginners ask a
question and either get ten answers at once, or none at all. That's  why
we need a BG.

> People just don't use mailing lists the way they used to

That's true, it's almost an oldfashioned way of communication, many
prefer facebook which they can use o  their phone, instead of an email
account you need to log in or use a special software on your computer.

Nevertheless, it still has more advanteages than Facebook, eespecially
archiving and searching treads.

> Facebook group has over 900 members and adds more weekly).

Although many people join groups only because "Hey look, I'm in a group".

> While the BG role has been very important in the past, perhaps we should
> look at other ways to use the list in lieu of new students.

I still think that it's good to have somebody "in charge", so that
newbies know where the teacher is. Just somebody who is "always around",
someone to trust.

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka Quvar valer 'utlh