[Tlhingan-hol] Concerning the purpose clauses

qunnoQ HoD mihkoun at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 05:49:44 PST 2015

thank you all very much,for taking the time to reply !

> Then you put a direct object on a verb that is translated as "confer"
though its literal meaning is "talk to each other", and we have neither the
grammar rule nor canon example to explain how it could connect a direct
object to it
> since "each other" implies that the "other" is the direct object of
"speak". Basically, your suggestion is ungrammatical.

yes you're right,I understand now.

> You are implying that the act of killing is continuous. Are you
suggesting that they intend a remarkably slow, apparently endless death?
> It means something different. The original means they are continuously
searching in order to kill; yours means they are searching in order to
continuously kill.
> that would be "for the purpose of going on killing him". Of the process
of killing him is the exercise rather than him being dead, then yeah, sure.
But that's not normally what people want to say.

I understand this too. thanks.

..but I still can't understand something,which I think is the reason why
I'm so confused with the purpose clauses. lets read together this sentence
:

"..the purpose clause must precede the noun or verb it is describing.."

My difficulty is to figure out which actually is the noun or verb that is
being described. In the sentence {ja'chuqmeH rojHom neH jagh la'}  <<The
enemy commander wishes a truce (in order) to confer.>> which is this noun
or verb ?
the {rojHom},the {jagh la'} or the {neH} ?
Similarly I wonder : In the sentence {jagh luHoHmeH jagh lunejtaH} <<they
are searching for the enemy in order to kill him/her>>, which is the noun
or verb that the relative clause must precede ? the {jagh} or the
{lunejtaH} ?