[Tlhingan-hol] Concerning the purpose clauses

Robyn Stewart robyn at flyingstart.ca
Mon Nov 9 05:32:29 PST 2015

1. Because ja'chuq takes no object, and a -meH clause precedes the main clause.

{ja'chuqmeH} = in order to confer
{rojHom neH jagh la'} = the enemy commander wants a truce (OVS)

If the -meH verb had a subject and object, its OVS would precede the main clause OVS.

2. that would be "for the purpose of going on killing him". Of the process of killing him is the exercise rather than him being dead, then yeah, sure. But that's not normally what people want to say.

3. A purpose clause is like an entire normal sentence, except with -meH on the verb.

DaHjaj yaHwIjDaq jIpaSbe'meH jabbI'IDvam vIghang.