[Tlhingan-hol] tlhIngan cursing

lojmIt tI'wI' nuv 'utlh lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com
Sun Nov 8 15:16:20 PST 2015

Likely the glosses we are given for curses are sufficient to explain appropriate use. Any actual meaning the words once had have no relevance.

Take the English “F” word. If it has an actual meaning, it is probably related to the act of having sex, though that has nothing to do with the intent of a person who follows it with “you!”, or with the use of it as a general amplifier with “-ing” added, as in “That’s one f-ing big nose you’ve got there!” or the generic “I don’t like the following” meaning in “This f-ing jerk f-ing insulted my mother’s forehead!” Sex also has nothing to do with the equivalent of “The gig is up!” statement, “We’re f-ed.”

Sex has nothing to do with the phrase, “Don’t f with me,” or “Don’t f with that lawn mower.”

Sex has nothing to do with “The meter of this poem is all f-ed up” or “The tip of this screwdriver is all f-ed up."

Sex has nothing to do with the single word the mechanic utters when he drops his wrench down the silo onto the nuclear warhead, setting off a spark that ignites the leaking hydrogen fuel tank.

So, understanding that the f word refers to the act of having sex won’t help you understand most of the ways the word is used. Likely, Klingon curse words are like that.

lojmIt tI’wI’ nuv ‘utlh
Door Repair Guy, Retired Honorably