[Tlhingan-hol] How many grammarians ?

lojmIt tI'wI' nuv 'utlh lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com
Sun Nov 8 12:35:26 PST 2015

Captain Krankor, a.k.a. HoD Qanqor, is the only Klingon grammarian. He started the idea, and published a series of booklets from the grammarian’s desk. He was the first human to speak Klingon. He did so before Okrand could speak it. He established his role as grammarian on this mailing list.

Seqram was the second person to speak Klingon conversationally. It’s interesting that he’s apparently never been BG, though he certainly did his stint on the list in a grammarian-like function as Krankor developed technical difficulties accessing the list.

After a few years, Krankor got tired of answering the same basic level questions of the unending stream of new speakers and established the role of beginners’ grammarian (BG). Each BG showed a high level of skill with the language, but was still an advanced beginner. While it required a lot of work, it helped the BG hone his or her skill unlike any other single experience.

I’m not sure how many BGs there have been. According to the KLI Wiki, there have been 15 BGs, but since ter’eS is listed as “(31 December, 2005) currently serving” it looks like the list could use a wee bit of an update. There have probably been a few others in the past decade… Maybe someone could update the entry?

http://www.kli.org/wiki/Grammarian <http://www.kli.org/wiki/Grammarian>

Hmm. According to that page, I’m a grammarian.

mumer ghu’vam. nIteb pabpIn ghaH HoD Qanqor ‘e’ vIHar.

pabpInHey jIHlaw’. jIr.

batlhvetlh vIbajbe’. latlh Qu’Hom vItoy’pu’.

lojmIt tI’wI’ nuv ‘utlh
Door Repair Guy, Retired Honorably