[Tlhingan-hol] roj

lojmIt tI'wI' nuv 'utlh lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com
Sat Nov 7 11:23:12 PST 2015

I agree that these sound wrong. Maybe they are fine, but we simply don’t need them.

<<vulqangan jIH>> jIjatlhDI’, jiqIDba’.

jIQagh. jIjatlhHa’.

<<tlhIngan jIH>> jIjatlhDI’ jIvItchu’.

‘orghennganpu’mo’ roj tera’nganpu’, tlhInganpu’.

If we get canon clearly informing us that unintuitive direct objects are proper to use with verbs that have definitions that appear to not take such objects, then we should follow canon, but in the absence of canon, just keep it simple and say it the way more people will understand it.

When a verb is used both ways in English, like {vIH} / “move”, I tend to favor using it without a direct object, and use {-moH} when you want to use a direct object. I’ve done this from the start, and in the case of {vIH}, it was confirmed that I was right, though that makes no guarantee of any consistent pattern in the language.

It would have been just as easy to use {-‘egh} on a verb that normally takes a direct object to indicate the no-object version of its meaning. So, in the end, we really need a pronouncement from Okrand, who shuns the entire “transitive” and “intransitive” terminology, though that appears to be the wording for the feature of the verb we are trying to determine in these cases.

Sometimes the relationships between verbs and appropriate objects is very alien to us, as was the case with {ghoS} and its ilk. We could use more explanations from Okrand about more verbs in terms of appropriate objects.

lojmIt tI’wI’ nuv ‘utlh
Door Repair Guy, Retired Honorably