[Tlhingan-hol] roj

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Sat Nov 7 04:51:36 PST 2015

On 7 November 2015 at 13:16, Lieven <levinius at gmx.de> wrote:
> Yes, as you say it's just speculation, either way. I believ that rij can NOT
> take an oject. It's defined as "make peace", so actually the object is
> inluded already. At least from english point of view, it makes no sense
> saying "He makes peace something".

Except that the English definitions of verbs often include objects (or
types of objects) which the verb is allowed to take.

{qID} "make a joke"
{vulqangan jIH 'e' vIqID} "I joked that I am a Vulcan"

{Qagh} "make an error"
{jIjatlhHa' 'e' vIQagh} "I made the mistake of misspeaking"

{vIt} "tell the truth"
{tlhIngan jIH 'e' vIvIt} "I tell the truth that I am Klingon"

{vut} "prepare food, make a beverage"
{tlhImqach vIvut} "I prepare zilm'kach"

I think it's uncontroversial that the above are allowed. By the same
reasoning, {roj} "make peace" includes that the object is peace, so it
follows that it can (or at least might be able to) take {roj} (noun)
as its object.

{tera'nganpu'vaD tlhInganpu'vaD je 'orghen roj lurojmoH 'orghenganpu'}

> Another question is then, would I say {rojmoHwI'} or {rojwI'}? :-D

I would think that would depend on the volition of the participants.

Chancellor Gorkon would be a {rojwI'}.

The Organians would be {rojmoHwI'}.