[Tlhingan-hol] roj

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Sat Nov 7 03:45:31 PST 2015

bI'reng:
>>> What do people think about this sentence?
>>>    romuluSnganpu' rojlI' DIvI'.
>>>    The Federation is making peace with the Romulans.

qurgh:
> [poD]
> Since I don't believe {roj} can take an object (it's "make peace" not "make
> peace with"), I'd translate the English phrase as:
>
> rojlI' DIvI' romuluSnganpu' je - The Federation and the Romulans are in  the
> process of making peace.

Marc Okrand has said that you can't always tell whether a verb is
transitive or what its object is, based on the English definitions.
The example that he gave to illustrate this is {tlhIngan yIn DayIn}
"You live a Klingon life". It's not obvious from the definition that
{yIn} can take an object, but it can.

I'm fairly certain that the following is allowed:
{Hegh quv Hegh HoD} "The captain died an honourable death"

Note that {ghob}, which is defined as "fight, battle, do battle, wage
war" (not "do battle with" or "wage war against") can take an object:
{ghobchuq loDnI'pu'} "the brother fight one another" (here, the object
is the combatant)
{noH ghoblu'DI' yay quv law' Hoch quv puS} "in war, there is nothing
more honourable than victory" (here, the object is the individual war
which is fought)

I believe that {roj} can take an object, namely, the noun {roj}. I
think (but am not sure) that the following are possible sentences in
Klingon:
{rojHom luroj} "they made a truce"
{veS'a' luQoj 'e' lutIv tlhInganpu'} "Klingons enjoy initiating massive warfare"

Perhaps {roj} "make peace" works like {ghob} "wage war", and you can
say {rojchuq DIvI' romuluSnganpu' je}, but that would be speculation.