[Tlhingan-hol] wovmoHbogh jan

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 03:29:47 PST 2015

ghunchu'wI':
>> {wovmoHbogh jan} isn't a word. It's a phrase that means exactly what
>> the parts mean. There's no reason to give it a special vocabulary
>> entry of its own.

Quvar:
> I used to think similarly, but after TalkNow I realized that some word
> combinations indeed deserve their own entry:
>
> There's no reason? {wovmoHbogh jan} is translated as "light" (i.e. a
> device). Now if someone may search for a term "light", he should find that
> word.
>
> all of the talknow noun-noun "words" are listed in the newwords list.
>
> Even if you decide {wovmoHbogh jan} should be omitted in the new words list,
> IMO it belongs in every well managed dictionary.

I agree with Quvar here. The New Words list has {wovmoHwI' moQ} "light
bulb". By the same argument, this is also not a "new word" because its
parts {wov}, {-moH}, {-wI'}, and {moQ} are all previously known.

({wovmoHwI'} itself had, by the way, been used previously on the Bird
of Prey poster: {telDaq wovmoHwI'mey} "Wing Lights")