[Tlhingan-hol] povjajwIj

Michael Roney, Jr. nahqun at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 05:12:06 PST 2015

On Thu, Nov 5, 2015 at 4:10 AM, De'vID <de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 4 November 2015 at 17:27, Michael Roney, Jr. <nahqun at gmail.com> wrote:
> > wa'Hu', jIvem.
> > puqwI' vIvemchoH.
>
> puqlI' DavemchoHmoH, qar'a'?

Yes, I forgot the {-moH}.

> > matuQchoH.
> > nIQ maSop.
>
> SuSop. nIQ boSop. moHaq yIqIm.

Argh.
Yes, I meant {wI-}.
The object subject changed the same between my two sentences, but not the
object and I didnʻt catch that.

> > DuSaQDaq yIt, vItlhej.
>
> {DuSaQDaq yIttaHvIS vIttlhej} 'e' vImaS.

Okay, I can see that.

> > ghIq yaHDajDaq leng be'nalwI'; puH Duj vI'or.
> > mebpa'mey'a'Daq vumtaH.
> > vutwI''a' (vutwI'Hom quv?) ghaH.
>
> jIyaj 'ach jIyajchu'be'. vutba' ghaH. 'ach patlhDaj vISovchu'be'.
>
> She's a chef. She's a major chef ({vutwI''a'}). But you think you
> might describe her as a minor head chef ({vutwI' quv} + {-Hom} =
> {vutwI'Hom quv}). So... assistant head chef? I'm not familiar enough
> with kitchen staff {qutluch patlh} to understand clearly what you
> mean.

Iʻm not familiar enough with kitchen staff to know what I mean.
Sheʻs a Sous Chef. Sheʻs under the Chef de Cuisine, who I guess would be
the {vutwIʻ quv}, but sheʻs a salaried position above the rest of her stuff
and gets the fancy jacket with her name on it.

I was wanting a way to get across that she was more than a short order
cook, but also not make it look like sheʻs the main chef.
KGT doesnʻt get this detailed.

Also, I meant {mebpaʻʻaʻmey}.

> > juHDaq jIchegh.
>
> {juH vIchegh} 'e' vImaS. There's some contradiction in the canon about
> how to specify the destination of {chegh}. But this was clarified in
> this email:
> http://klingonska.org/canon/1999-07-19b-email.txt
>
> {juHDaq jIchegh} is ambiguous and can mean either "I return home" or
> "I return at home (I return somewhere, while inside my house)".

Thanks for the link, Iʻll need to add this to my notes.

> > juH jIvum.
> > juH chenmoHwI' jIH }}:)
>
> jIyajlaw'. I think you're making a joke about being a "homemaker". I
> was confused at first, because I wasn't sure if *{juH jIvum} mean you
> work at home ({juHDaq jIvum) or you work on homes (making houses), so
> when I read {juH chenmoHwI'} I thought you were confirming the latter,
> until I saw the smiley.

I remember putting a {-Daq} there, guess my brain moved faster than my
fingers on that one.
But yes, I was trying to play on the term "homemaker".
I like that scene in "The Neutral Zone" (TNG) where Data assumes the
occupation of "homemaker" means that she is in construction.
Realizing that this is not a Klingon phrase, I added the smiley to note
that I wasnʻt seriously suggesting this as a term.

> > Sut vISay'moH.
> > ngop, Duq, baghneQ, je vISay'moH.
> >
> > megh vISop.
> > 'ey *HIlelwIj.
> >
> > veQ vIwoD.
> > .
> > juHDaq cheghDI' puq, "brownies" DIvut.
> > ngawDeq lo' *cha''Iv*.
>
> *cha''Iv* vIyajbe'. DIvI' Hol mu' 'oS'a'? puqlI' pong 'oH'a'?

I realized this morning, upon rereading this lists FAQ, that non-canon
names get 1 *, not 2.
So, I shouldʻve written {*chaʻʻIv}.
Itʻs my daughterʻs name.

> > "brownies" tujchoHtaHvIS, 'uQ vIvut.
> >
> > jatlh jIH:
> >      <qaStaH nuq?>
> >
> > jatlh puqloDwI':
> >      <loghjaj 'oH qatru' jaj'e'.>
>
> "A nerd's day is Thursday"?

My children have themed dress up days at school.
Tuesday was Black Tie Day, Wednesday was Camo Day, Today is Nerd Day.
Theyʻre supposed to dress like nerds.

> > jatlh puqbe'wI':
> >      <chay' qatru' wIDa?>
> >
> > jIjang:
> >      <yIvbeHwIj SeQHa' botuQ }};) >
>
> "How are we acting like nerds?"
> "You're wearing my [T-shirt?]s"
>
> jIyajbe'.

I was afraid my joke would get lost in translation.
My daughter was trying to figure out how to dress like a nerd.
I told her to wear one of my shirts. (because I have nerdy shirts).

Problem is, "behave in the manner of" is totally different than "dress in
the clothing of".
I thought about using "pretend", but that doesnʻt work either.

> > QongrupchoHtaHvIS, lam vIbI'.
> >
> > qaSDI' ramjep, mebpa'mey'a'Daq vIchegh.
> >
> > juHDaq wIchegh.
> >
> > maQong.
> >

> > ~naHQun, who is 98% sure he used the correct prefixes.
> > If not, Qov has permission to beat me with a prefix chart.
>
> Qov jIHbe' vaj SoHvaD moHaq wa'chaw vIqIpmoHQo'.
>
> --
> De'vID

~naHQun

--