[Tlhingan-hol] Concerning the {'e'} topic suffix

qurgh lungqIj qurgh at wizage.net
Wed Nov 4 10:28:35 PST 2015

On Wed, Nov 4, 2015 at 1:11 PM, qunnoQ HoD <mihkoun at gmail.com> wrote:

> having just finished studying the pronouns,along with the {'e'} topic
> suffix,I can't help but wonder the following..
>
> lets take these two examples,along with their given translations :

Think of these as being translated:

> puqpu' chaH qama'pu"e' The prisoners are children.

As for the prisoners, they are children.

> pa'DajDaq ghaHtaH la"e' The commander is in his quarters.

As for the commander, he is in his quarters.

> As i understood the {'e'} means <<that>> ; so the above translations
> should be

That meaning would be what {-bogh} is used for. {-'e'} means more "as for
X", or "considering X". {-'e'} marks the topic of the sentence

> the prisoners that are children (implying that there are prisoners too,who
> aren't children)
> the commander that is in his quarters (implying that there is another
> commander as well,who isn't in his quarters)

These translations require {-bogh}

puqpu' chaHbogh qama'pu''e' - the prisoners that are children
pa'DajDaq ghaHtaHbogh la''e' - the commander that is in his quarters.

qurgh