[Tlhingan-hol] Puns!

David Holt kenjutsuka at live.com
Tue Nov 3 06:39:06 PST 2015

My guesses are different.

I think for the classic Klingon weapon, the creators of the weapon said, "Let's call it an 'honor sword'. Someone look up how to say that in Klingon!" So they wrote down {batlh'etlh}. Then, either through transcription errors or intentional adjustment, it became "bat'telh" and came to be pronounced "batleth" in the actual episodes. Dr. Okrand then had to accommodate this pronunciation since it was canon and created the word {betleH}.  Looking in the dictionary, you will see that the words {batlh} and {'etlh} both come from the 1st edition portion of TKD, which came out 2 years before TNG, and {betleH} doesn't appear until the addendum, which came out 2 years after we heard the name pronounced.

As for {HoD}, my guess is that he had already developed his capitalization scheme and loved the way it worked so well with H.o.D. that he found a good use for the acronym. But the evidence for that belief is more complicated and less obvious, so who knows.

Jeremy