[Tlhingan-hol] Piraha

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Nov 2 08:43:31 PST 2015

The lines are from the paq’batlh (PB), so we’re stuck with the somewhat “poetic/literary” (vs. strictly literal) translations:

  loDnI'wI' bIQeHba' chaq batlh bIvangqa'laH
  My brother, I see your anger, you might have a chance
 to make amends.  PB

  chaq tugh batlh Heghmo' 'ej chaq tugh charghmo'
  For they may soon die with honor! For they may soon be victorious! PB

  reH batlh SuvtaHjaj chaH
  Let endless battle and honor await them! PB

  jIlay'DI' reH batlh jIpabchugh Qapla'meywIj Hoch vIta'ta' 'e' DaHar'a'
  Did you think that my word of honor would have carried me this far? PB

Compare this last line with:

  bIleghlaH jIlay'ta' 'ej batlh jIpabta'
  As you see, I have kept my word PB

A couple more examples with two adverbials:

  batlh naDev SuDab
  Welcome to this place PB

  batlh maHeghbej 'ej yo' qIjDaq vavpu'ma' DImuv.
  pa' reH maSuvtaHqu'.
  Then we die with honor and join our fathers in the
   Black Fleet where we battle forever. (Anthem)

OTOH see this earlier example from the Hallmark commercial where Okrand repeated the verb:

  pIj maSuvpu' batlh maSuvpu' 'ej maQapbejta'
  In our many battles, we have fought with honor
  and achieved VICTORY! (Hallmark)

--
Voragh