[Tlhingan-hol] Significance of constructed languages

Will Martin lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 05:46:55 PST 2015

{-ghach} turns a verb into a noun, but it is considered very strange to apply it to a bare verb. Okrand invented it in order to come up with the word {naDHa’ghach} = “discommendation”. It relies on a suffix, apparently, to color the nature of the noun formed. So, {valtaHghach} is “cleverness”, but it relates to ongoing, consistent cleverness, and not simply a briefly clever act. {valta’ghach} has more to do with the intentional and successful cleverness. {valqa’ghach} would relate to repeated episodes of cleverness, without implying that the person or people showed continuous cleverness between the episodes. So, with {-ghach} there are areas of subtlety in a Klingon term that would be awkward and wordy to explain in translation.

Technically, you COULD use {-ghach} on a bare verb, but you’d really only do it as a joke or some other intentionally ungrammatical construction, to call attention to the word in some oddly special way. Nobody does it in normal conversation. It ain’t no citified way to speak proper Klingon.

pItlh
lojmIt tI'wI'nuv