[Tlhingan-hol] New words needed

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Sun Nov 1 09:42:25 PST 2015

On 1 November 2015 at 11:24, Anthony Appleyard
<a.appleyard at btinternet.com> wrote:
> taQbang (N exhaust):-
>
> In the real world I have come across these sorts of exhaust:
> (1) (Oldest meaning), used low-pressure steam from steam engines, but not
> the gases from its coal burning.
> (2) Waste gases from internal combustion engines.
> -- In those 2 uses, the engine's power comes out of the drive shaft and not
> in the exhaust.
> (3) The propulsive blast from jets and rockets.
>
> Which of these, or what, is the meaning of any canon uses of {taQbang}?
>
> (taQ means "be weird", as if, before the Klingons had space travel, they
> came across (2) (waste gases from internal combustion engines) and did not
> like the resulting smell. :-) )

{taQbang} is a reference to the following line from the film Dr.
Strangelove ({taQ} + {bang}):
"If the pilot's good, see, I mean if he's reeeally sharp, he can
barrel that baby in so low... oh you oughta see it sometime. It's a
sight. A big plane like a '52... varrrooom! Its jet exhaust... frying
chickens in the barnyard!"

This isn't a "canon example", but it is evidence that the word's
intended meaning is "jet exhaust" (the stuff that comes out of a jet
engine).