[Tlhingan-hol] qepHom 2015 with Marc Okrand

Lieven levinius at gmx.de
Sat Mar 28 14:51:28 PDT 2015

Am 28.03.2015 um 14:30 schrieb SuStel:
> It really doesn't. As described in THE KLINGON DICTIONARY, {o} sounds
> the same as {ow}, or /oʊ/, a diphthong.

Most of the time I agree with you, but not here.

TKD does not say anything about a diphthong here, or a sound like [oʊ].
The only written description is "o as in english mosaic". When editing
the german Klingon dictionary, I talked to Okrand, and he said this was
maybe a bad example, because few people say [mow-zay-eek] instead of
[mo-za-eek].

This example only intended to make clear it's the [o] as in "cop", so
the word {Sop} should not rhyme with "shop". Say {bom} as [bom], not [boʊm].

PS: Even Okrand sometimes did not follow his own rules, for instance on
one of the tapes he says {SoH} like [SɔX] instead of [SoX]. (But he
still never said [SoʊX]).

Sorry for nitpicking, but this is an important detail.

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka Quvar valer 'utlh