[Tlhingan-hol] new vocabulary: theatres and auditoriums, Genesis and The Big Bang Theory

Lieven levinius at gmx.de
Tue Mar 17 02:29:15 PDT 2015

Am 16.03.2015 um 23:01 schrieb Felix Malmenbeck:
>> BTW, it makes me wonder again why there's a space in one word, and none
>> in the other, but then I remember Okrand telling me that the Klingon
>> language has always been intended to be a spoken language, and he didn't
>> really care ybout space or no space in compound words.

> I think it's nice having that choice. I still use spaces most of the time, because I find it more transparent, but sometimes removing the space can help disambiguate.

Yes. There are many people on this list who refuse self-made compund
nouns, because they think it seems like creating new words. I belong to
those who accept the chapter in TKD as a guideline, not as a
description. That's why I asked Okrand about that, and he said he
doesn't care too much, since Klingon is a spoken language.

> For example, if one of the words in the conjunction could also
 > be a verb, fusing them together helps alleviate that confusion.

That's true indeed.

> It could also help when you ... *shudder* ... have combinations of more than two nouns.

Why not?
DaHjaj muSuch tlhIngan wo' HIvDuj HoD be'nal.

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka Quvar valer 'utlh