[Tlhingan-hol] Windows 8 and pIqaD fonts- solution to problem

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Wed Mar 11 13:17:32 PDT 2015

On 3/11/2015 4:10 PM, qurgh lungqIj wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 11, 2015 at 3:59 PM, SuStel <sustel at trimboli.name
> <mailto:sustel at trimboli.name>> wrote:
> That worked for me. I can see the pIqaD in the copy of your message that
> didn't go through the mailing list.  
>
> When I enter pIqaD into GMail using Chrome, I can see the pIqaD I'm
> typing. This works for new messages, including in the Subject line.
> However, Chrome does not show pIqaD in the URL bar. It also didn't show
> Japanese when I searched for a word earlier, so I think that's a browser
> issue more so than a font issue.
>
> If you want to see what you're typing, try going to
> http://hol.kag.org/page/process and typing into the text box. It's setup
> to use a pIqaD webfont, so it should display correctly even if you were
> to use a system without any pIqaD fonts install. You should then be able
> to cut/paste into an email (although the email client still might not
> show it). You can also click on "Analyze Text" and it should show the
> text as links that will analyze each word. I sometimes use it as a
> poor-man's spell-checker.

Yeah, sure, I can find a way to get it all to work, but the point is
that it's a kludge. Unless everyone decides to use GMail, which they
won't, we have to use hacks to read what anyone is saying. It just plain
doesn't work reliably or even frequently in email.

And even if I used Google Chrome in GMail, I couldn't read it on my
phone, or in my mail client—I could only read it in Chrome.

And then there's the Windows-only implementation of the IME...

Heh... we need a custom, cross-platform, Klingon-localized mail client!

http://www.trimboli.name/