[Tlhingan-hol] no' Hol & Paramount Hol in Bing

Robyn Stewart robyn at flyingstart.ca
Thu Mar 5 20:44:51 PST 2015

I understand the desire to exclude them, but there are people out there for
whom the only Klingon they know is what was on the episodes. I don't want
them to put what they know into the Bing translator and get nothing. That's
not the way to lead them to the light.  Even if the phrases haven't been
individually canonized, the conceit in KGT that the ones that are mentioned
are famous lines from old operas makes it clear that we're supposed to run
with it. I'm perfectly happy accepting these phrases as meaning what they
say it means but only as a fossilized expression that may be no' Hol or a
phrase taken whole from a foreign language.

And you have to love "I am theragen dare" and "I am mother you are honour."

I can even follow the logic on "wIj Doq". They look up "my" and "blood" and
get wIj 'Iw. They don't want their actors saying "we jew" or "wedge eew"  so
they look for something else and settle on "red".

- Qov