[Tlhingan-hol] tagha' MARSDaq BEAGLE2 nejwI’’e’ chillu’bogh lutulu’

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Tue Jan 20 10:27:18 PST 2015

On 1/20/2015 1:17 PM, lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com wrote:

> On Jan 20, 2015, at 12:19 PM, Gaerfindel <gaerfindel at hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Qatlh tera' Hovtay' yuQ loSDIchDaq lengmeH vay'
>>
>> That doesn't feel right.  Is there anything on "sentence as
>> subject"?

> You didn’t give an English translation for what you were trying to
> say, so I can’t be sure.
>
> I think your sentence is valid, if you meant to say “The
> in-order-to-roam-on-the-fourth-planet-of-the-Terran-star-system
> something is complex.” To be clearer, there’s a thing; a something.
> This something has a purpose. It’s purpose is to roam on the fourth
> planet of the Terran star system. This something is complex.
>
> And no, there is no “sentence as subject” construction, but a verb
> with {-meH} is not a sentence. It’s a dependent clause when applied
> to a main verb, and a descriptive clause when applied to a noun, like
> {vay’}.
>
> So, if you meant something different than I’ve described above,
> please provide your translation so we can help figure out how to get
> there from here.

I think he wants to say "traveling on Mars is difficult" (or
complicated). This is why he asked for a sentence as subject.

quljIb, you can't make a sentence the subject of another sentence. Only
a noun or noun phrase can be the subject of {Qatlh}.

Qatlh Mars ghorDaq lengmeH Qu'
a task for the purpose of traveling on the surface of Mars is
difficult/complex

It's clumsy in English, but not so much in Klingon.

Qatlh Mars ghorDaq leng
a journey on the surface of Mars is difficult/complex

{leng} is also a noun! :)

http://www.trimboli.name/