[Tlhingan-hol] FW: Nonsense words

Robyn Stewart robyn at flyingstart.ca
Tue Feb 24 15:07:20 PST 2015

>From a conversation with my primary contact on the Microsoft Bing team.

---

I found this online
(http://www.angelfire.com/md/startrekkie1701/klindic.html -- careful, this
site seems weird and may contain malware)

Maktag

maqtagh: a klingon month or season (n) [From "New Ground" (TNG). At least 43
days long.]

Somehow the wrong spelling of Maktag made it into a training text file,
where I can see

maqtagh              à           month

maqtagh              à           season

i.e. possibly someone originally found the site above and added words /
sentences to one of the training files.

And so the engine learned that.

We have to remove and retrain.

We have an efficient way to change bad translation, but not a good way to
‘remove’ words or phrases altogether..

..what I can do easily (we do these once a week) is to replace the wrong
translation from English to Klingon.

i.e. “month” and “season” right now translate to “maqtagh”.. what would be a
better translation for “season”?

---
Some well-meaning individual has managed to add Angelfire to our learning
files, and like glitter in the carpet, it will be everywhere unless we can
pick it out grain by grain.  Is anyone familiar enough with this TNG novel
to know whether maqtagh was supposed to be a particular season, analogous
perhaps to “monsoon” or “spring” or a generic word for a seasonal time
period?

- Qov