[Tlhingan-hol] vulqa'nganpu'

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Thu Dec 31 10:41:09 PST 2015

On 12/31/2015 1:21 PM, lojmIt tI'wI' nuv 'utlh wrote:
> I’m trying to follow what you are suggesting, but the problem is
> thata conjunction creates a complex sentence. Once you’ve joined two
 > sentences with a conjunction, you can’t then deal with separate parts
> as if they weren’t joined.

Says who? Where are you getting this from?

> Okay, let’s back up and look at the group of words we have been given:
>
>> maHotlaHmo' manenchoHlaH, 'ach tugh 'e' vItlhoj.
>

> What is {‘ach} joining?
>
> It appears to be joining {maHotlaHmo’ manenchoHlaH} and {tugh ‘e’ vItlhoj}.

I believe it's meant to be joining a previous sentence that isn't stated
in the example.

yadda yadda, maHotlaHmo' manenchoHlaH, 'ach tugh 'e' vItlhoj.

The main verbs being conjoined are <yadda> and {vItlhoj}.

    qama'pu' DIHoH, tera'ngan wIHoHpu' 'ach 'e' wIlIj
    we kill prisoners, but we forgot to kill the Terran

I would have said it as

    qama'pu' DIHoH, 'ach tera'ngan wIHoHpu' 'e' wIlIj

but I don't see why the former can't work as well. "We kill, but we
forgot." It's unorthodox, but I don't think it's automatically wrong.

http://www.trimboli.name/