[Tlhingan-hol] vulqa'nganpu'

lojmIt tI'wI' nuv 'utlh lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com
Thu Dec 31 10:21:01 PST 2015

I’m trying to follow what you are suggesting, but the problem is that a conjunction creates a complex sentence. Once you’ve joined two sentences with a conjunction, you can’t then deal with separate parts as if they weren’t joined.

Okay, let’s back up and look at the group of words we have been given:

> maHotlaHmo' manenchoHlaH, 'ach tugh 'e' vItlhoj.

What is {‘ach} joining?

It appears to be joining {maHotlaHmo’ manenchoHlaH} and {tugh ‘e’ vItlhoj}. I don’t see any smaller independent clauses. {maHotlaHmo’} is not a simple sentence. It’s a dependent clause.

So, when you join the two sentences shown, the {‘e’} has to refer to something said earlier than {maHotlaHmo’ manenchoHlaH}. But there isn’t anything before that. He wants {‘e’} to refer to {maHotlaHmo’ manenchoHlaH}. That’s why {‘ach} doesn’t work. That’s why it breaks his intended use of Sentence As Object construction.

Let’s make sure I’m not missing anything. Back to the original message:

'op ben, qaDmey law' vIbamtaHmo', QI'Sta qarur, vay' vIHot vIneHbe'.
some years ago, because I was facing many problems, I resembled you
QI'Sta, because I didn't want to feel anything.

maHotlaHmo' manenchoHlaH, 'ach tugh 'e' vItlhoj. (is the {'ach tugh
'e' vItlhoj} correct ?)
however soon I realized, that because we are able to feel, we are able
to grow/mature.

Nope. Nothing before that. He’s not suggesting that he’s trying to say:

“Because we are able to feel, we are able to grow/mature, but soon I realized that some years ago, because I was facing many problems, I resembled you, QI’Sta, because I didn’t want to feel anything.”

Yes, that would be complex to understand, if that’s what he meant, but that’s not what he meant, judging by what he puts as the English translation. And he asks if {‘ach tugh ‘e’ vItlhoj} correct. The simple answer is, “No, it’s not correct.” The reason it’s not correct is that it grammatically combines the sentence referred to by {‘e’} with the sentence containing {‘e’}.

As you said, {‘e’} does not refer just to an earlier clause; it refers to an earlier sentence. Or at least that’s what it generally is supposed to do. But in this case, it doesn’t, hence the error.

I understand how easy the error is to produce. All you have to do is ignore that {‘e’} always refers to a separate sentence. Since we never punctuate it as two sentences, we can easily forget this requirement.

I think we should start punctuating it as two explicitly separate sentences. If we mark sentence boundaries with periods, this is one place we should be doing it that we have generally not done. I think it’s a very bad habit. The period would remind us of what is really going on here.

Otherwise, what we have is {‘e’} being used as a conjunction that is placed differently than any other conjunction. Instead of being at the sentence boundary between what was previously a pair of complete sentences, we place it in the direct object position of the second independent clause, and let any earlier words in the second clause mush back into the first sentence.

Well.. actually, that’s what we’ve been doing. Ugly business, that.

So, am I missing anything here? Did I misinterpret the original intent? Is there any reason for {‘e’} to refer to something that is not a separate, preceding sentence?

lojmIt tI’wI’ nuv ‘utlh
Door Repair Guy, Retired Honorably