[Tlhingan-hol] vulqa'nganpu'

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Thu Dec 31 09:52:47 PST 2015

On 12/31/2015 12:44 PM, lojmIt tI'wI' nuv 'utlh wrote:
> {qamapu’ DIHoH ‘e’ luSov} is not a sentence.

Yes it is. It is a "complex sentence," which is the subject of all of
section 6.2.

> It is two sentences in
> Klingon, translated into one sentence in English. It SHOULD be
> punctuated {qamapu’ DIHOH. ‘e’ luSov.}

No it shouldn't.

It is both two simple sentences and a single complex sentence. It is both.

Punctuation serves to clarify the idea of a sentence. Punctuating it as
you have does not make the idea clear, especially when dealing with
counterfactual statements.

    qama'pu' HoH chaH. 'e' vIHon.
    They kill prisoners.
    I doubt that.

The first sentence is not what the speaker means; it is only the second
sentence which makes the meaning clear. One simple sentence cannot stand
on its own.

> But {‘e’} is not a conjunction. It’s a pronoun. It refers to the
> previous sentence. It creates a semantic link to an earlier sentence,
> but there is no grammatical link between them. I’d expect you to
> understand that better than most others.

No one is claiming that {'e'} is a conjunction.

{'e'} is a pronoun that is the object in a simple sentence. It helps to
form complex sentences.

Semantics is part of grammar.

http://www.trimboli.name/