[Tlhingan-hol] vulqa'nganpu'

lojmIt tI'wI' nuv 'utlh lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com
Thu Dec 31 09:44:35 PST 2015

{qamapu’ DIHoH ‘e’ luSov} is not a sentence. It is two sentences in Klingon, translated into one sentence in English. It SHOULD be punctuated {qamapu’ DIHOH. ‘e’ luSov.}

TKD, page 65, section 6.2.5:

“What is often a single sentence in English is often two sentences in Klingon.”

 Page 66, immediately following the example you give:

“This sentence is actually two.”

He has to use the word “actually” because he doesn’t use punctuation, and if he doesn’t highlight that what appears to be one sentence is “actually” two, then he has no resources to show us that there are two separate sentences here.

This is the one area in which he did a disservice by choosing to not punctuate at all when presenting Klingon. I understand why he did it. He’s representing written Klingon as a phonetic notation. Spoken Klingon won’t necessarily mark the end of one sentence and the beginning of another.

But {‘e’} is not a conjunction. It’s a pronoun. It refers to the previous sentence. It creates a semantic link to an earlier sentence, but there is no grammatical link between them. I’d expect you to understand that better than most others.

lojmIt tI’wI’ nuv ‘utlh
Door Repair Guy, Retired Honorably