[Tlhingan-hol] vulqa'nganpu'

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Thu Dec 31 07:01:59 PST 2015

On 12/31/2015 8:48 AM, lojmIt tI'wI' nuv wrote:
> I'm more than a little certain that TKD explains that while we may
> translate Sentence As Object into one sentence in English, in Klingon,
> the two sentences are separate. A conjunction makes the two sentences
> one. They are no longer separate.

It explains that two separate and complete sentences may be used to form
a "complex sentence," either as a "compound sentence" (with a
conjunction) or as a "sentence-as-object" (with {'e'} or {net}), but it
doesn't say anything about treating the complex sentence as an
indivisible whole afterward.

    bISoptaH pagh bItlhutlhtaH
    You are either eating or else you are drinking

    {bISoptaH} is a sentence.
    {bItlhutlhtaH} is a sentence.
    {bISoptaH pagh bItlhutlhtaH} is a sentence.

    qama'pu' DIHoH 'e' luSov
    the know we kill prisoners

    {qama'pu' DIHoH} is a sentence.
    {'e' luSov} is a sentence.
    {qama'pu' DIHoH 'e' luSov} is a sentence.

The individual pieces don't cease to be sentences even when the complex
whole is also considered a sentence.

http://trimboli.name