[Tlhingan-hol] Royal We Beginners' Conversation

Robyn Stewart robyn at flyingstart.ca
Wed Dec 30 14:12:24 PST 2015

> naDev *turkey* Sop je 'a tlhoy wIparHa'be'.
> here they cook turkey too, however we don't like it much.

This vague "they" in English is best translated with the -lu' suffix.  Also
watch the layered negatives in your sentence. I'm not even sure what it
means anymore. Something like "we overly don't like it"  "we don't like it
to an excessive amount". I'd better understand:

naDev *turkey* Soplu' je 'a wIparHa'qu'be'.

> be' 'uSgheb wImaS qoj latlh Ha'DIbaHmey.
> we prefer chicken and/or other animals.

'uSgheb qellu'DI' loD boSopbe''a'?  - You don't eat the males?

 Careful that the parts of speech are in Klingon order, not English.
The English is:  we (subject) prefer (verb) chicken and/or other animals
(object).
Rewrite your Klingon sentence, perhaps after a re-reading of the section on
conjunctions.

> 'ach *turkey* qagh ghap wIvnISchugh, *turkey* wIwIvbej !

I think you missed the prefix on the first wIv. Or you could use -lu' again,
but there needs to be some nod to the subject of the verb.

maHvaD *turkey* 'ey law' tera' 'uSgheb 'ey puS.
qagh SopmeH 'eb tu'lu'chugh, wa'logh wIjonbej.
wIwaHpu'DI' chaq jaS mawIv.

wa'logh tera' Ha'DIbaH Daj wISop.
chorgh 'uS ghaj.
toch tIn law' 'oH tIn rap.
'ej nIqlaH Ha'DIbaH.
Ha'DIbaH wISopbogh mIQlu'pu'.
jav 'uS ghajbogh Ha'DIbaH DISop je.
'ey bIH.
rut vutpa'majDaq bIHDI' DIjon 'ej DISop.

- Qov