[Tlhingan-hol] Hints and Tips : OVS

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 08:45:03 PST 2015

On 30 December 2015 at 17:14, mayql qunenoS <mihkoun at gmail.com> wrote:
>> (or with the prefix trick, the indirect object)
>
> I know that this isn't the actual subject of this thread, however
> could you please (or anyone else) write 2-3 sentences as examples
> where the prefix trick is applied  ?
> I have heard many times, people mentioning it, but unfortunately
> I can't understand what it is.

{jIHvaD taj Danob} = you give the knife to me, you give me the knife

The direct object is {taj} "knife", the beneficiary (or indirect
object) is {jIH} "me".

This can be rewritten using the prefix trick as:
taj chonob = you give me the knife

Here, the prefix is {cho-} "you-me", but the direct object is {taj}
(it). The {jIHvaD} has been replaced by {cho-}.

{SoHvaD tlhIngan Hol vIghojmoH} = I teach the Klingon language to you,
I teach you Klingon

The direct object is {tlhIngan Hol}, the beneficiary (or indirect
object) is {SoH} "you".

This can be rewritten using the prefix trick as:
{tlhIngan Hol qaghojmoH} = I teach you the Klingon language

Again, {qa-} indicates "I-you", but the direct object is {tlhIngan Hol}.