[Tlhingan-hol] Question words used not in questions

John R. Harness cartweel at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 23:13:11 PST 2015

Great question. The basic answer is no, you shouldn't phrase things that
way in Klingon.

English has a few question words that can also be used in other ways, but
this isn't the case in Klingon.

I would try to translate your first sentence this way, relying on {-meH}.
(I may be wrong in putting -vaD on vIghro'; I'm not quite sure how DIj
works in terms of being transitive.):

vIghro'vaD DIjmeH nabDaj QIjbe'.
"He did not explain his plan for the purpose of him painting the cat."

And maybe--
SoHvaD targhwI' qotlhmeH meqDaj ja'be'.
To me she did not report her reason for tickling my targ.

These seem really clunky, but it's what I can come up with. {-meH} seems to
cover a lot of the territory that we are covering when we use how, why,
when in the way you've described.

What does everyone else think? Got any better, less clunky ideas?

'arHa
Beginner's Grammarian