[Tlhingan-hol] ghawran DIS chu' nabmey

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Tue Dec 29 06:27:48 PST 2015

On 12/29/2015 5:45 AM, mayql qunenoS wrote:
> qen jabbI'ID wo' luwoHpu' nochmaj
> recently an imperial transmission our sensors pick up

{jabbI'ID wo'} is "data transmission empire" (a kind of empire). What
you want is {wo' jabbI'ID} "empire data transmission" (a kind of
transmission).

I think {woH} "pick up" refers to lifting something with your hands, and
the like. I don't know if it can refer to detection by sensors.

    qen wo' jabbI'ID lutu'pu' nochmaj

> 'ej ghawran DIS chu' nabmey pIQHa' wItu'..
> gowron's devious new year plans..

This sentence is not incorrect, but you might use {wIghoj} instead of
{wItu'}.

> toQDuj So' ra' ghawran 'ej tera'Daq ngeH.
> gowron ordered a cloaked bird of prey and sent it to earth.

{So'} means "hide," not "be hidden." Use {toQDuj So'lu'pu'bogh} "bird of
prey which has been cloaked."

When I see {toQDuj So'lu'pu'bogh ra' ghawran} I think it means "Gowron
commands a cloaked bird of prey." Try these on for size:

    tera'Daq toQDuj So'lu'pu'bogh ngeHpu' ghawran
    Gowron sent a cloaked bird of prey to Earth

    tera ghoS toQDuj So'lu'pu'bogh 'e' ra' ghawran
    Gowron commands that a cloaked bird of prey go to Earth

> tI Huj qem 'e' poQ, /mistletoe/ lupong tera'nganpu' 'e' tI.
> he demanded that it brings a strange plant, a plant that terans call mistletoe.

What's that {'e' tI} at the end? The sentences are correct without it.
{'e' tI} is gibberish.

> /mistletoe/vam lan'egh ghawran, may'DujDaj lojmItmeyDaq
> gowron will place himself this mistletoe, at his battle cruiser's doors

{lan'egh ghawran} means that Gowron will place himself somewhere. We
don't think you can use objects with {-'egh}. You can achieve the effect
you want with a little emphasis:

    /mistletoe/vam lan ghawran'e'
    GOWRON (and not someone else) places this mistletoe

Technically, the locative phrase {may'DujDaj lojmItmeyDaq} needs to come
at the beginning of the sentence.

    may'DujDaj lojmItmeyDaq /mistletoe/vam lan ghawran'e'
    GOWRON (and not someone else) places this mistletoe at his battle
    cruiser's door

> 'ej DIS chu' loS.
> and wait for the new year.
>
> ngugh, Hoch yaS 'uch, bIng /mistletoe/ !
> at that time, he will embrace every officer under the mistletoe !

When using location words like {bIng} and {Dung} (there are lots more of
them), build them as normal noun-noun constructions. And, as with
locative phrases in general, they go before the OVS part of the sentence.

    ngugh /mistletoe/ bIngDaq Hoch yaS 'uch
    at that time he will hold each officer under the mistletoe

Two special notes which relate to this sentence, but which didn't come up.

First, when using those location nouns, if you're combining them with a
pronoun, DON'T use possessive suffixes. For instance, if you want to say
"my right side," don't say *{nIHwIj}. We used to think this is what you
would say. We learned otherwise in some piece of canon. Keep the pronoun
separate: {jIH nIH} "my right side."

Second, when combining {Hoch} with another noun, the plural marker, or
lack thereof, becomes important. {Hoch N} means "each N, taken
individually," while {Hoch N-mey}, {Hoch N-Du'}, {Hoch N-pu'} mean "all
Ns, taken together." You used the correct form in your sentence: {Hoch
yaS 'uch} "he holds each officer (individually)." Don't say {Hoch yaSpu'
'uch} "he holds all officers (all at once)." This is the one time that a
plural must be explicit.

http://trimboli.name