[Tlhingan-hol] KLBC: -bej versus Sov

Will Martin lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com
Tue Dec 22 11:52:15 PST 2015

{-bej} indicates the degree of certainty that the action of the verb is actually happening or has happened (time is a separate issue). {-chu} indicates the purity and quality of action of the verb.

So {Sovbej} indicates that he definitely knows it. Don’t suspect he doesn’t know it.

{Sovchu’} suggests a profound understanding not implied by {-bej}. He knows it deeply and perfectly.

Doqbej means it’s definitely within the range of color that one might call “red/orange” and not “blue/green/yellow”. It could have some blue/green/yellow in it, but if you speak of the color overall, you’d say red or orange.

Doqchu’ implies a depth and purity of color far beyond certainty. There is no blue or green or yellow even subtly hinted at by this color.

Remember when the second gunner responded to Kruge with {yajchu’, qaH!} There was a reason he said that. He clipped {qa-} from the verb, but he wanted to make sure Kruge fully knew the depth and purity of his understanding.

pItlh
lojmIt tI'wI'nuv