[Tlhingan-hol] Prospero año nuevo

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Tue Dec 22 11:51:09 PST 2015

On 12/22/2015 2:44 PM, qov at kli.org wrote:
> QISta'
>>> DIS chu' Suchepjaj!
>
> SuStel
>> chepjaj DIS chu'
>> may the new year be prosperous
>
> Do we have canon showing that in Klingon something occurring to an
> individual during a time period can be expressed as something happening
> to that time period? I tend to avoid that construction to be safe.

I'm not sure why a prosperous year wouldn't be a year in which things
were generally prosperous, in which case you will benefit. I wasn't
suggesting the two ideas were identical.

>> qaStaHvIS DIS chu' bIchepjaj
>> may you be prosperous in the new year
>
> SuStel, SoHvaD moHaqmey 'agh taghwI'.  maHvaD jatlh, vaj lugh wIvDaj.

moHaq lo'pu'bogh vItu'be' neH.

> Suchepjaj expresses the wish for us all, and if we are going to
> accept  <DIS chu'> as a valid description of a year that has just begun,
 > then what could be the problem with it as a timestamp?

Nothing at all. I simply didn't realize it was being used as a time stamp.

http://trimboli.name