[Tlhingan-hol] KLBC: -bej versus Sov

Lieven levinius at gmx.de
Tue Dec 22 11:16:50 PST 2015

Am 22.12.2015 um 19:36 schrieb Chelsea Knauf:
> The TKD has the example sentence {nuSeHbej}.  Is there a reason it can
> be rephrased as {nuSeH 'e' jISov}?

My first, quick and short answer would be, that in english we have the
same question: Where's the difference between "I know it's red" and
"it's definitely red"?

PS: it should be the vI- prefix: {nuSeH 'e' vISov}

Well, anway, I think it's a question of emphasis. During a battle scene,
one officer may say "they are scanning us" or so, and it would sound if
s/he says "I know that they are scanning us". On the other hand, the
Sov-phrase may be an answer:

- HoD, Doqbej Duj.
- Doqbej Duj 'e' vISov.

--