[Tlhingan-hol] Interactions between verb suffixes

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Tue Dec 22 06:23:07 PST 2015

On 12/22/2015 7:40 AM, De'vID wrote:

> We have a canon example of {-choH} with {-laH} on TKW p.177:
> {wa' jaj 'etlh 'uchchoHlaH tlhIngan puqloD; jajvetlh loD nen moj}
> "The son of a Klingon is a man the day he can first hold a blade."
>
> Here, {'uchchoHlaH} is translated as "can first hold", i.e., "begins
> to be able to hold". {-laH} indicates ability. {-choH} indicates a
> change in state. So {'uchchoHlaH} means "he is able to hold (whereas
> he wasn't able to hold before)".
>
> Possibly in another context it can be translated as "is able to begin
> to hold", i.e., "he is able to hold (whereas he wasn't holding
> before)", though I don't see a big difference between the two
> translations. Maybe someone can come up with an example using another
> verb that makes the difference more striking.

Either interpretation works.

Thinking about it a little more, I'm not sure that {-choH} necessarily
has to apply to any element of the verb in particular. It's not "change
of action" or "change of subject," it's "change of state of affairs
before the action."

Before, he isn't able to hold a blade, there was no blade-holding; now
he is and there is. A change of state has occurred. It's not necessary
to specify whether {'uch} or {-laH} has changed.

Meanwhile, {-laH} has no explanatory text to help us disambiguate.

http://trimboli.name