[Tlhingan-hol] 19 words to create

Jesse Manoogian boyfromtheabyss at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 21 22:26:34 PST 2015

>>Hi, Andrew,
>>
>>I'm going to make a guess that you are trying to describe some
>>specific people, perhaps yourself and your family, or perhaps
>>characters in a story.
>>
>>I have a suggestion: why don't you try to do that, using vocabulary we
>>have? For example, instead of "He wears braces", try writing "Metal
>>teeth-straighteners are installed in his mouth", and see how far you
>>get. We can help you if you get stuck.
>>
>>I'm willing to bet that whatever you are thinking of writing can be
>>expressed using vocabulary we already have.

Thanks, De'viD. And by the way, I'm not seeking to write anything describing people I know, nor characters in a story.

Let me have a go at the terms:

be blonde: SuD (be yellow)
be straight (of hair): beQ (be flat)
be curly: gho (circle, hoop -- this was the closest I could find to "be round")
be wavy: perhaps an adhective derived from yu'egh (wave)
be bald: jIbbeH (hairless)
be hazel: maybe some hazel-colored species of plant or animal in the Star Trek World? (Confession time: I've never watched Star Trek. Yes, I'm that much of a geek.)
freckles: Maybe a word for spot? (Although I don't see "spot" in the dictionary.)
wrinkle: bentlhegh (age-line)
glasses: mIn (eye) or puS (sight) + (a word for glass?)
braces: You already had a go at this one.
tattoo: DIrlaS (skin-ink-up)
jeans: ???
polo shirt: ???
tank top: (shirt) tlhaybeH? (tlhaybeH is "sleeveless" . . . there are two words for shirt; "wep" is sleeved, so using it with "tlhaybeH" would sound like an oxymoron, but "yIvbeH" is sleeveless, so using it with "tlhaybeH" would sound like a redundancy.)
headphones: nachQoywi' (head-hearer . . . a calque from the German Kopfhörer)
skateboard: rutlh'echlet (wheel-board)
guitar: javHurDagh (six + stringed instrument)
bass: javHurDagh jaQ (deep guitar)
teen, adolescent, youth, young adult: nenHom (adult-DIM)