[Tlhingan-hol] KLBC : Sentences as objects

Bellerophon, modeler bellerophon.modeler at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 21:38:28 PST 2015

qunnoQ wrote:

> qavan 'arHa'. I was wondering..
>
> We know that we can say :
>
> {jIQong vIneH} <I want to sleep.>
> {qalegh vIneH} <I want to see you.>
> {Dalegh vIneH} <I want you to see him/her.>
> {qama'pu' vIjonta' vIneH} <I wanted to capture prisoners.>
>
> So I would like to ask you,if in a similar way one could say :
>
> {Ha'DIbaHwIj DaHoH DanID} <you try to kill my dog>
> {luyu' lulIj} <they forget to question him>
> {choQaH bIqet} <you run to help me>

I don't want to step on John's toes, but maybe he's busy today. I'm sure
he'll have good advice for you, but I can see that you'll be able answer
your own question. Just read TKD 6.2.5.
After you take care of that, you have problems with the last two sentences.
Translate them literally into English, letting the chips fall where they
may. I expect you'll get something totally different from your intended
meaning.
When we stick an infinitive after a verb, like "You try to kill," "They
forget to question," or "You run to help," each one uses the infinitive in
a different role. We know what it means in each case, but we're so used to
the weird things English does, we rarely notice that they're weird. If you
think about how the two verbs are related in each case to form the overall
meaning, you'll find a better way to say it in Klingon.
~'eD

--
My modeling blog:          http://bellerophon-modeler.blogspot.com/
My other modeling blog:  http://bellerophon.blog.com/