[Tlhingan-hol] Short Poems

John R. Harness cartweel at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 12:31:58 PST 2015

Ah! I'm glad to see someone is familiar with the form! Maybe you can be of
help...

As far as I can tell, the works of this ancient poet (who, based on a
fragment, I am referring to as "The jal poet" or <jal>, though this name is
one of my own devising, merely for academic convenience) do indeed follow a
form akin to Germanic alliterative verse but, at least in the few works I
have so far reviewed, the meter follows a pattern that is either simply
unskilled or, far more likely, experimental.

My research shows a pattern wherein two alliterating "lifts" in the first
half-line also alliterate with another (and occasionally two) "lift" in the
second half-line. Beyond that, non-alliterating syllables seem practically
ignored, metrically.

What do you make of it, SuStel? Can you tell me more about how you would
expect the meter to flow, given your own explorations of the matter?

Similarly the issue with <lI?Ha? lurDech / lulotlhlaHbe?> may be one of
scribal error OR evidence of a new dialectic or stylistic mode. My
reconstruction is "The tradition is useless / They cannot rebel (against
it?)"

Thoughts?

'arHa