[Tlhingan-hol] Use Klingon!

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Fri Dec 11 08:10:24 PST 2015

On 12/11/2015 10:35 AM, De'vID wrote:
> qun HoD:
>> teH 'oH ! 'a jIQongnISqu' jIghItlhtaHvIS. vIQaghlu'law' 'e' vIHot
>> 'a mu'tlheghmeyvam vIlughmoHmeH jIDoy'qu'.
>
> Earlier (in another thread), you wrote: "{jIH,SoH,'oH..} vIHech. vIQaghlu'."
>
> Just curious, why do you seem to think that one says *{vIQaghlu'}
> rather than {jIQagh(pu')}? Is this a carry-over from Greek or
> something?

Probably because in English you say it in the passive voice: "I am
mistaken."

People often think of Klingon {-lu'} as English passive voice, because
it often translates best that way, but {-lu'} is not passive voice, a
feature Klingon does not have. I think qun is making the same... um...
mistake.

    Qagh
    make a mistake

    jIQagh
    I make a mistake

    jIQaghpu'
    I have made a mistake

*{vIQaghlu'} would mean something like "Someone makes a mistake me,"
which doesn't make sense.

http://trimboli.name