[Tlhingan-hol] KLBC: "Which" and uses of question words

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Wed Dec 9 06:38:30 PST 2015

qun HoD:
> <the officer is a child> 'oH {puq ghaHtaH yaS'e'} pagh <the officer is
> being a child> ?

puq ghaH yaS'e'
the officer is a child

puq ghaHtaH yaS'e'
the officer is still (i.e. continues to be) a child

puq Da yaS
the officer is being (i.e. behaving as) a child,
the officer is acting like a child

Note the useful verb {Da} "behave as, act in the manner of".  Examples:

nepwI' Daba'
He is obviously lying. TKD

HaDlu'meH, QuSlu'meH, SuDlu'meH lojmIt Da logh Hop Hut tengchaH. vaj loghDaq lenglaHtaH Humanpu'
space station Deep Space Nine is the gateway for the exploration, intrigue and enterprise that mark the continuation of the human adventure into space... S99

yejquv DevwI' moj ghawran 'e' wuqta' cho' 'oDwI' Dapu'bogh janluq pIqarD HoD.
Gowron... named leader of the High Council by Captain Jean-Luc Picard, who was acting as Arbiter of Succession. S25

jIlay'ta' 'ej batlh jIpabta' vaj choDanIS
I have kept my word of honor, and so should you PB

SuvwI' DameH puqloDwI' vIghojHa'moH
I have failed to raise my son a man PB

--
Voragh