[Tlhingan-hol] KLBC: moHaq mojaq DuHmey

John R. Harness cartweel at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 09:29:02 PST 2015

I admit that I can't keep all of those mojaqmey and moHaqmey straight. But,
looking at your examples, I think I can answer the following:

1. No, you can not attach a verb prefix directly to a verb suffix ({vIqang}
means "I pour", not "I am willing.") Sometimes, though, the suffix happens
to match a legal verb root: {vIlaH} for example. {vIvIp} is illegal, on the
other hand.

2. No, you can't attach noun suffixes to verb prefixes. ({vIvaD} means "I
am flexible" not "I {do something} for the benefit of {something})

3. YES, you can attach verb suffixes to pronouns: {jIHtaH} is legal. ({jIH}
is acting as a verb here.)

4. YES, you can attach a noun suffixes to pronouns: {jIHvaD, maHDaq} are
legal. There may be some restrictions here (perhaps only Type 5 suffixes
are allowed?) but I am unsure as some combinations make a bit of sense to
me, but others do not.

_________

Let me explain some basic principles, and raise a few questions. These are
basically questions about how prefixes and suffixes can be attached to
nouns and verbs.

The basic guiding principle is that Klingon makes a distinction between
words that are nouns and words that are verbs (though there are some words
that can act as either at different times). Most simply, noun suffixes can
attach only to nouns and verb prefixes and suffixes can attach only to
verbs. If a word can sometimes be a noun and sometimes be a verb, the way
that it is being used in a sentence will be made clear by what sort of
affixes are attached to it. Pronouns can be used as nouns and as verbs.

This is complicated by affixes that turn a verb into a noun like {-wI'} and
{-ghach}. When one of these Type 9 verb suffixes are applied, the entire
verb becomes a noun and from then can take any legal noun suffixes. (NB:
Always keep in mind the proper ordering of the suffixes.)

This is what I don't know for sure: Can a verb that becomes a noun with
{-ghach} or {-wI'} have a prefix still on it? In other words, are these
legal/how would you translate them?

-{*choSuvHa'ghach} - (Your mis-fighting of me?)
-{*HIDevwI'} .... ? You, one who leads me?

I welcome discussion from all.

'arHa