[Tlhingan-hol] KLBC: {-'e'} mojaq

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Sun Dec 6 04:49:01 PST 2015

'arHa:
>> tlhInganpu' chaH gorqon qeng'e' je
>> tlhInganpu' chaH gorqon'e' qang je
>> tlhInganpu' chaH gorqon'e' qeng'e' je
>> tlhInganpu' chaH gorqon qeng je'e'
>> Where do the topic marker(s) go?

qun HoD:
> DIpmey neH tlhejmo' {-'e'} mojaq , lughlaw' mu'tlheghvam :
> {tlhInganpu' chaH gorqon'e' qeng'e' je}.

majQa'. bIlugh.

>From HolQeD 4.2:
<<LS: Somebody was asking about if you have two nouns that both have
{-'e'} on them, and they're conjoined with {je}, do you put the {-'e'}
on the {je} or on the nouns?

MO: Right. Can you topicalize a conjunction? I don't know... nah...>>

>From the SkyBox cards:
<<TM, ® & © 1994 PARAMOUNT PICTURES. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. STAR TREK
AND RELATED MARKS ARE TRADEMARKS OF PARAMOUNT PICTURES. SKYBOX
INTERNATIONAL, INC. AUTHORIZED USER.

TM, ®, © je tera' DIS wa'-Hut-Hut-loS Paramount Pictures. Hoch SeH.
Paramount Pictures
malja' permey bIH Star Trek pong'e' Deghmey'e' je. bIH lo' SkyBox
International, Inc. 'e' chaw'.>>

qun HoD:
>'ach cha' DIpmey ponglu'bogh
> ghaj ghantoHmeylIj. wa' DIp wa' patlh je ghaj ghantoHmeywIj. jImIS..

lugh {tlhIngan ghaH gorqon Qang'e'}. jangpu' 'arHa, jatlh: "In the
case you gave, you should treat the name and the title {gorqon Qang}
"Chancellor Gorkon" as one unit."

I can't think of any examples where the subject of the copula is a
person with a title, but there's no reason to think that it isn't
treated as a unit the same way anything else would be in that slot.

We do have some canon examples where the subject of the copula isn't a
simple noun:
{loghDaq Suvrupbogh SuvwI'pu' chaH [Hoch SuvwI'pu']'e'}
{nuqDaq 'oH [Qe' QaQ]'e'?}

p.s. There is no {g} in Klingon, only {gh}. I don't believe the
Klingon form of "Gorkon" has ever appeared in canon, but I think it
would be something like *{ghorqan}.