[Tlhingan-hol] Aspect, etc

Alan Anderson qunchuy at alcaco.net
Fri Dec 4 10:14:34 PST 2015

On Fri, Dec 4, 2015 at 12:56 PM, De'vID <de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think that the bulk of the canon, and especially the early canon,
> conforms to the prescription of aspect given in TKD. Okrand very
> deliberately chose aspect over tense to make Klingon un-English-like.
> It might be that he later forgot this or was sometimes sloppy about
> it, but at least TKD records his intention.

I think that a lot of TKD's examples still show the influence of
{-pu'} having originally been intended as indicating past tense. His
choice to eliminate tense and substitute aspect was a way to make a
repurposed movie subtitle into a fully grammatically correct sentence.
That was done after most of TKD was already written.

-- ghunchu'wI'